Monday, January 29, 2007

Art classes or nursing?


Recently a dear friend of mine emailed me the following, which I am posting with her permission:

Last semester I started taking art classes again. Everyone says I should hurry and get my nursing degree. I know it is the practical thing to do, but for the past few years I feel like my soul has been crying out to create. I have had a difficult time feeling real joy, not that I haven't been happy, but part of me has been suffocating. I finally decided that I didn't really care about being practical. I feel like I can breathe again. I feel free. I wish that I didn't have to keep defending my decision.

I think that's totally sweet.

Some people simply cannot relate to what she said, but I can. Sometimes when I tell people that I have a blog and post on it regularly they look at me incredulously. "Whaddya doin' that for? Does anyone even read it?" Well, I don't really know who reads my blog, other than a few friends and a brother or two, but I don't really worry about that. Blogging is writing is a release valve that I occasionally need. The numerous somber responsibilities of fatherhood, husbandhood, profession, providing, etc. can leave one too serious.

It feels great to write and express and let it out. Like sending a balloon out in the wind. You never know where it'll land or how it will affect someone else.

No comments: