Monday, January 29, 2007

BYU's Administrative Program


As many of you know, I have been avidly seeking entrance into BYU’s Leadership Preparation Program (LPP) to become an administrator. Since the summer of 2006 I have been working towards this goal. I have taken the GRE, applied for BYU’s graduate studies program, and applied to BYU’s LPP program. I can’t even begin to tell you how many hours I have spent over the last five or six months in studying, emailing, composing, researching, typing, etc. to pass the GRE exam and complete the two applications.

Long story short:

About two weeks ago, I received a letter from BYU’s education department, inviting me to the second phase of screening to determine if I get into the LPP program.

Last night (Thu. 1/25/07) at BYU’s Mackay Building I attended that screening. The supervisor, Joe Matthews, met with all of us candidates to give a brief overview of the screening process. He also told us that after the screening we would all be notified by mail in about three weeks if we got in or not.

After a group activity, we were instructed to be interviewed individually by a BYU faculty member and one of the several public school administrators who had been invited to help in the screening.

As I sat in the waiting room with the other candidates awaiting my turn for an interview, Joe Matthews motioned to me and said, “I need to interview you.” This startled and excited me, in that I hadn’t seen him do this to anyone else. I went with him to his office down the hall.

“I want to apologize,” I said, “for having emailed you so much [about the program and the application over the last few months].”

“That’s OK,” he smiled. “You probably emailed three times more than anyone else here.”

After assuring me that it was a good thing, he asked me point blank: “Tim, how serious are you about this program? What if you don’t get the paid sabbatical leave from your district? How will you afford to stay in this program?”

I assured him that my wife and I were more than prepared to take out loans and do whatever would be necessary for the next 15 months of the course if I got accepted, and that we were committed to making it work.

“Good,” he said, “because we want you.”

My jaw dropped and I went into the Kip Dynamite lever pull of joy: “Yesssssssssssss!”

So, my news to you is that I am IN! After 12 years of blood, sweat, tears, and hormonally influenced children, this will most likely be my last year as a teacher. I am on my way to becoming a vice principal!

Just thought I’d let you know.

As a side note, I asked several of the candidates there if they had been interviewed by Joe, and I didn’t speak with any who had. As far as I can tell, I am one the only one I know of who has already been given the thumbs-up for the program.

If enthusiasm were muscle, I’d be Govuhnuh Awnold right now!!!!

2 comments:

Jason said...

Well BIG KUDOS Govuhnuh!!!

Ken Craig said...

Das right, you just pumped (clap hands) me up! Congratulations, Timbo. You deserve all of it.
Ken