Saturday, September 16, 2017

The Way Homosexuality is Changing (in) Society

Over the past decade the promotion of homosexuality continues to gain popularity. It is strange. In my youth there was indeed a homophobia in society, and almost nobody was (openly) homosexual. There was a general disapproval for those who practiced homosexuality.

Nowadays things have changed dramatically, and continue to do so. It almost feels like it is against the law to disapprove of homosexuality. I fear sharing my opinion publicly, for fear of attacks. Even people in my church, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, many of whom claim to be believers, are speaking in favor of accepting homosexuality and going against the doctrines on the family. I live in fear that my career may be threatened because of my stance on this issue, and hence fear to speak out about my feelings and position. It is as if I am now the one in the closet.

Questions I would like to address:

1) Am I against the practice of homosexuality? Yes. Why? Because:

  • Homosexuality threatens the traditional family where one man is married to one woman. It blurs and confuses gender roles. Homosexuals often adopt the mannerisms and dress of the opposite gender. Homosexual women often act like men, and homosexual men often act like women. I often wonder nowadays what it is to be (and look like) a man. Kids need a mother and a father, each of whom provides vital modeling and nurturing to the child. 
  • Homosexuality impedes the propagation of the human race. Homosexuals cannot procreate; however, legislation allows them to adopt children of heterosexual parents. 
  • The acceptance of homosexuality promotes more homosexuality. Society's promotion of homosexuality, and the allowance of homosexual couples to adopt children open children's minds to considering homosexuality as a viable alternative. Conversely, it reduces the likelihood that children will envision a heterosexual family, where one husband and one wife are parents who raise their children.

2) Do I think we should persecute homosexuals? Absolutely not. They are my brothers and sisters. I do, though, view homosexuality as a sexual sin, in that it goes against God's intended purposes for the family and for the way the body procreates. I also view extra-marital, pre-marital, and adulterous sex as serious sins, all because they tinker with the powers of procreation. In addition, I would be uncomfortable allowing homosexual adults to tend my son, out of fear that their lifestyle might permeate into my son's mind as an acceptable alternative to consider.

3) As an administrator at a public school, how do I treat homosexual students? I love them! I strive to treat them just the same as all other students, by showing them kindness, courtesy, acceptance, enthusiasm for life, and encouragement in their academic progress.

4) What is my position on transgender bathrooms? I don't know. Maybe we just need gender-neutral, individual bathrooms.

5) What about people who are born with homosexual tendencies? That is a sensitive subject. I am sympathetic to those who have those tendencies. I view it in the same light as anyone born with any sort of tendency: look to God and give it your all to keep His commandments.

The widespread acceptance of homosexuality is an untried experiment. There are future we may not now foresee, and I fear the destruction of a stable society.

No comments: