Saturday, September 16, 2017

Elder Holland Speaks with Sam Brooks a Few Weeks Before His Death

During the final months of my father’s life, when his condition was so feeble due to his cancer, we moved him to the Legacy Village of Provo. I wrote a letter to Elder Holland, asking if he could come visit my dad. 



Dear Elder Holland,

I am the son of Samuel Brooks Jr., who was the Food Services Director at BYU during the time that you were president of BYU. His dad is the same Sam Brooks (Sr.) who, as you once mentioned in one of your speeches, slept on the steps of the old Dixie Academy in 1911 in order to be its first student. We love St. George as much as you do! (Here is my dad -- in his Dixie hat and shirt -- with my mom, and a painting of Samuel Brooks Sr. on the wall.)

My father adores you. Our whole family adores you.

 

Four years ago, my dad was diagnosed with skin cancer on the crown of his head. Gradually, the cancer manifested itself elsewhere, on his face, in his lungs, and eventually in his brain. He has undergone countless treatments, radiation, and chemotherapy. He is now in stage 4.

Recently my dad was placed on hospice. The doctors have given him one to three months to live. As it was so burdensome on my mother to take care of him at home, we ended up having to move him to an assisted living facility in Provo. He is currently residing at the Legacy Village of Provo, located at 4146 N. University Avenue. He is in room #1209.

Please, if it’s not too much to ask, I invite you to pay a brief visit to my dad. It would mean the world to him. He has lived a faithful life to the Gospel of Jesus Christ, and would love to see you before he passes.

Sincerely,
Tim Brooks



Elder Holland’s secretary called to tell me that unfortunately Elder Holland’s schedule would not permit that, but that Elder Holland would like to call Dad. I gave her the number and Elder Holland called Dad. Elder Holland called on November 1, 2016, at 1:20 pm. When he called, my mother and my sister Heidi were in the room. They put the phone on speaker, and Heidi, who was sitting next to a computer, transcribed their conversation.



JRH: Carolyn, Carolyn, is Sam there?

Mom: Yes.

JRH: Sam are you there, can you hear me?

Dad: Yes, can you hear me?

JRH: Yes, I can hear you loud and clear.  Well, I love you Sam and wanted you to know I've been thinking about you.  I want you to know that the Brooks flag is flying high. It boosts my spirit just to hear your voice, Sam. Are you doing okay today?

Dad: I'm doing okay.

JRH: I hear you're sick, Sam, and wanted you to know how much I love you. I love you Sam, and I just got home last night from being overseas.  Not only do we have the tie of Southern Utah, we also have the tie at BYU. Thanks for all you did as a great leader at BYU. You are a world class colleague. Thanks for being a great, great colleague. You did a wonderful job. I love you like a dear friend. I love you like crazy. I want you to know that I will put your name on the prayer roll in a prayer circle that is specifically for general authorities and the Quorum of the Twelve. It will be on the prayer roll led by Thomas S. Monson and that's not so bad! I love you, Sam. Your whole family will be on the prayer roll for just the general authorities and Quorum of the Twelve. You are a dear friend. Carolyn, keep me posted, please and tell me how he's doing. Carolyn, keep in touch and tell me how my boy is doing. Carolyn, make sure you keep in touch. Stay in touch.

Take care, Sam. I sure love you.



Sam passed away 13 days later, on 14 November 2016. Our family is grateful that an apostle of the Lord Jesus Christ would take the time to give our father some encouraging words. It meant the world to all of us. 

No comments: