Sunday, January 20, 2008

My Testimony


I am troubled by recent and numerous media reports (brought about in part by the presence of Mitt Romney as a presidential candidate) that skew or misrepresent Mormonism. I am troubled by those who slam our entire church because of one negative experience perpetrated by the imperfect members of our faith. I am troubled by those not of our faith who give more credence to a critic than a member when it comes to determining our doctrine. If you want to know the truth about somebody, go to the source – not to a third party.

Apostle M. Russell Ballard of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints challenged us members to consider sharing our views on blogs, responding to online news reports and using the “new media” in other ways.

I would like to do that.

I am a believing member of the Mormon church. I try to live its precepts, often failing; nevertheless I cherish my association with the Church. I am profoundly grateful to be a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

For those of you who may not be a believer, or if you falter in your faith, I urge you to study our doctrine:

Study The Book of Mormon.
Read our manuals.
Study the Doctrine and Covenants and our church history.
Surf around our web site: www.lds.org.
Attend our meetings.
Study our General Conference talks.
Get to know our people.

If you approach these things without bias, you will find clarity, purpose, and sweet communion with God.

I believe all the doctrines of the Church. I cherish the vast amount of Gospel knowledge the Church offers. I believe the words and revelations of Joseph Smith. I believe there is divine purpose in the seemingly endless trials we go through in this life. I look forward with fear and excitement to the time when I will see Jesus Christ again. I believe in an afterlife, that this life is merely a bus stop in our eternal progression.

This Church and its Gospel mean everything to me. I encourage you to embrace our faith as well.

- Tim Brooks

No comments: