Friday, July 23, 2010

1830 Book of Mormon



Recently I had a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to hold an 1830 first-edition of The Book of Mormon. This one was owned by a woman named Vienna Jaques ((see DC 90:28) one of only three women mentioned in the Doctrine and Covenants -- the other two being Emma Smith and Eve), who in 1832 received it from the Prophet Joseph Smith himself.

Underneath her name and the date it reads: "The writing above is Joseph Smith own handwriting which he wrote the day he gave the book to me Vienna Jaques on the 22nd of November 1832."

While I am fascinated with a book that collectors value at $250,000, for me it was a holy, faith-promoting privilege to hold the book in my own hands, because I knew that it had been held by the Prophet of the Restoration of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. That made it priceless.

No comments: