Saturday, May 06, 2006

Meeting Elder Oaks



Today a very special experience happened to Karin and me. It seemed that today’s events pointed us to be in a special place at a special time.

This afternoon we went to the Jordan River temple. Our plan was to have dinner downstairs in their cafeteria then go do sealings. Unfortunately, when we arrived we came to find out that the cafeteria did not take credit cards, and we had only brought a credit card. (Strike one.) Knowing that my pregnant wife was hungry, I asked her what she would like to do. She replied that she was OK enough just to go up and do the sealings. So we went up to do sealings. It was then about 4:30 PM.

When we got to the sealing office, the workers there told us that there wouldn’t be more sealings done until 6:00 PM. (Strike two.) Karin and I looked at each other. We were unsure what to do, especially since my pregnant wife was stiff, sore and hungry. We decided to go through an endowment session. So we went back downstairs, changed back into our temple whites, and went up to the chapel.

When we arrived at the chapel, there were about a dozen people in the pews. One of them was Elder Dallin H. Oaks. He was seated by himself. I whispered to Karin that it was him, and at first she wasn’t so sure. I assured her that it was him. After a few minutes, a worker motioned to our group that it was time to go to the endowment session. Everybody stood except Elder Oaks, who was obviously waiting for his wife, so we left without them. Karin and I were the last two to leave the chapel.

When we arrived at the endowment room, Elder Oaks and his wife, who had just arrived, sneaked in and sat down beside us. As Karin and I were the last two to enter the room, the vacant seats for Elder Oaks and his wife were by Karin and me. Elder Oaks sat down, said “Hi” (not hello) to me, and shook my hand. Afterwards I patted his back. I was so excited to be seated next to him!

Long story short: we rubbed elbows with them for an hour and a half! It was awesome! I could hardly concentrate, and I definitely didn’t doze off when the lights dimmed.

My thoughts raced throughout the session. I thought of my own personal worthiness. I thought of the talks of his that I remembered. I wanted to thank him for being such a good example. I wanted to thank him for his talks on preparation for the Second Coming, and how to be a good teacher, and hymn singing, and the Joseph Smith Symposium at the Library of Congress speech. I thought better of our situation and kept silent but grateful.

At the end of the session, I leaned over to him and whispered, “This has been very special for me. Thank you.”

He replied something along the lines of, “It’s been great to be here with you.”

This was a one-in-a-million experience, to be so near to an Apostle. I haven’t had something like this happen to me since Nyman Brooks’ wedding when we sat at the same table with Elder Maxwell and his wife.

Things I noticed about Elder Oaks:
* He wears his watch with the face on the inside of his wrist.
* He is well groomed and nice.
* His temple clothing is just like our temple clothing.
* He is a regular man --- a good, divinely called, inspired, good man.
* He is an Apostle of Jesus Christ. He has had incredible spiritual experiences with Deity.

This was an exciting, memorable, spiritually rejuvenating experience!

No comments: